Avoid over-indulging and bring some balance to your Christmas celebrations this year by including colourful fresh fruit and vegetables to brighten up – and lighten up – your festive dishes.
5+ A Day Charitable Trust is encouraging Kiwis to keep their Christmas dishes simple by using fresh, in-season produce to help you feel good heading into the New Year. The trick is to find an equilibrium.
Don’t deny yourself some treats over the festive season but just make sure to balance them with plenty of colourful fruit and vegetables.
Serves: 4 | Preparation: 5 minutes | Cooking: none
› 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved
› 125g fresh baby mozzarella, halved
› 12 basil leaves, torn
› 20ml good quality olive oil
› Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix tomatoes and mozzarella on a white platter or in a bowl
- Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Scatter torn basil leaves over the tomatoes
- Serve with crusty bread and a fresh green salad
- Note: It is important not to store tomatoes in the fridge.