What better way to celebrate Easter than have our junior home cooks with flour power create some Easter treats? Young chefs share their favourite recipe with a taste of deliciousness.
- 125g butter
- 200g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- Chocolate Butter Frosting or Green Coconut Icing (recipes follow)
- Mini chocolate Easter eggs, to decorate
- Chocolate Butter Frosting
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Green Coconut Icing
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- A few drops of green food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease muffin tin or line with paper casings. Melt butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan one-quarter full of gently simmering water. Or, microwave for 2 minutes (in short bursts) to melt. Stir until smooth.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour and beat just enough to combine.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin or paper cases. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of one cake comes out clean. Remove to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the Chocolate Butter Frosting, place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy.
- To make the Green Coconut Icing, mix together the food colouring with 1/2 tbsp of water and mix into coconut.
- Slather or pipe Chocolate Butter Frosting on top of cold cupcakes to form nests. Fill nests with mini chocolate Easter eggs to decorate or sprinkle on Green Coconut Icing.